Thursday, January 31, 2013

the Vision and the Reality

I have a house full of dogs.

For as long as I can remember I've wanted to have a house where I would be able to look after unwanted dogs. Give them a place to live, be sheltered from the elements, feed them well, and enjoy their company.

While in school I did a co-op at a boarding kennel and a light went off. I could do this. Have a place to spend time with many dogs and yet earn money off them. It would be a win win.

I have two of my own dogs. This week I have 6 dogs here, however the other 4 dogs are not paying clients. And I'm getting 3 or 4 more dogs tomorrow night that are also non-paying. Not quite the money earning venture I had envisioned.

However my non-paying four legged friends are special. One is a foster dog whom I've had a couple months now. And the other 3 are dogs from up the coast from a native comunity called Kashechewan (Kash). There is a group of dedicated people trying to educate the people of these native communities on owning and proper care of having a dog. Hundreds of dogs in these communitues are shot for no particular reason other than the fact that their owners don't properly care for them and the dog population sky-rockets thus ending the need to shoot and kills the animals. The other dogs I get tomorrow are also from one of these northern communities.

So though I'm not making money I feel like I'm doing my small part housing these lovely creatures on their journey to a new and better life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's awesome! We have the same problems here on our reservations too.......... so sad.......