Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Wrathful Wednesday

A couple updates before getting to my main story.

Bird phobia is still in full swing. However the turkeys and I seem to have worked out a system of sorts. Not entirely sure how this is going to progress as they continue to get larger. I may be calling in a support team. I'm also down another bird, so 11 turkeys left.

Work has been busy. On top of my grooming I'm helping with some re-organization and the store is in desperate need of it. Plus the manager and I are trying to get it all done before Friday so it will be all set before we go to our conference and before she goes on holidays. We're getting close.

Now to my main story:

Back in May a local man was attack by a black bear. The bear allegedly attacked his livestock(chickens), his dog(killed it), then went after the man. The man suffered many laseration wounds to his head and shoulder. To me the story sounds fishy, there's something just not right about the whole situation. Here's an article in the Timmins Daily Press http://www.timminspress.com/2013/05/12/man-injured-in-bear-attack. The bear was suposedly killed by the MNR. There has been no coverage as to whether or not there was something "wrong" with the bear or if it was a freak accident/attck.

Since this attack the paranoia over bear potentially attacking at random has sky rocketed. I think people are insane. Sure we should be aware of bears and educate ourselves on bear safety but really having arms at the ready just incase a bear strolls through your yard. I keep going back to "they are more afraid of you than you are of them", make loud noise to scare them away, let the dogs bark at them, keep garbage inside, clean up bird feeders etc. bear safe common sense seems no need to apply these days. Sure maybe the re-instatement of the spring bear hunt may help keep the bear population at bay, but I also think that we can learn to better co-exsit with them. Don't want to co-exist move to down town Toronto (or other equally large city).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great points!