Monday, June 10, 2013

Plea to all Parents...and a Thank you to mine.

Parents you are not doing your kids justice by waiting on them hand and foot.

My most recent eye opening to this fact is that at work we have 2 co-op students working with us...One student clearly has chores to do at home, she is very good at cleaning up after herself, even knows how to clean and do laundry.  The other student had a huge learning curve. She had never done laundry, washed floors, and clearly has someone that picks up after her at home. Both are very nice polite, pleasant girls to work with, and I'll be sad to see them end their term with us.

Back to my topic, parents please fight with your kids to clean their own rooms, do the dishes, wash and fold their own laundry, sweep and wash the floors, shovel the driveway, cook meals for the family, cut the lawn, dust, feed the pets, clean the bathroom. They will thank you when they are older.

So thanks mom and dad for making me do some chores. Learning some of those basic life skills truly help shape people into well rounded independant individuals.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is too funny!!! I am sort of writing a post about this. I wrote it and just decided to let it sit for a bit while I checked other blogs out.... however it is the opposite I had almost no chores....

I don't really get much into the whole idea of chores vs no chores, I may have to write a more indepth post about it at a later date!!!

Unknown said...

I dont know how I feel about calling them chores persay...but more along the lines of pitching in and learning life skills.

I can't get over the difference in the skills between our two co-op students, especially the one not knowing how to sweep, vacuum, dust, mop...pretty basic skill.

Theres also a commercial where the mom is always seen cooking for the boy and when the boy gets to college he doesn't know how to make himself a meal. It just an aha moment like really you dont know how to make kraft dinner or use the microwave?!?!

Anonymous said...

I agree I was obviously taught basic life skills and the rest I figured out pretty fast.....