Sunday, March 3, 2013

Fredom 55...ugh 70 maybe?

Depsite not feeling the greatest with this crazy sinus cold, which isn't as bad as it was but I still not feeling up to par, I've also been trying, with some success to consolidate loans, settle debt and figure out a plan to become debt free in the next ten years.

There is nothing, NOTHING more personal than having a complete stanger rake over your financials. Seeing how much debt you've accumilated whether its good or bad debt. Sitting there behind their desks judging, scrutinizing every figure.

Luckily I'm not a worse case senario. My credit rating is good. And the majority of my debt stems from my mortgage and student loans and then is topped off by some credit card debt that was foolishly accumilated after a falling out with roomies while going to college leaving me living solo and footing all the bills, and then again when I opened my business.

After spending a couple weeks going back and forth between the credit card company and the provincial part of my student loans -two of my biggest debtors -I've managed to settle debts with them and shaved off 11k of debt! And the remainder of what I owe was consolidated and will be paid off within 5 years. My next debt to tackle is the federal portion of my student loans.

To help with getting things paid off quicker, I am back out on a job hunt. I'm not overly thrilled with the prospect of taking on a third job again; however working an extra 16hours a week should give me roughly an extra 600 monthly to put strickly towards debt recovery. I'm also going to be going through some things and selling my camper trailer -it's getting older and before its a huge money pit I'm going to sell, it brake my heart because I love camping but I also loved camping in a tent growing up we didn't camp in a trailer soo I'm making the move back to tent camping. I also have a brand new airconditioner that is still in the box that I haven't used so instead of keeping it for that 'someday' .  The other large item for sale is my vacuum, I rarely use it, its a fancy one but its taking up space and is never used soo time to rehome.

Within the next 2 years I will have my small credit cards/store cards -homedepot, sears, amex, and four wheeler paid off. Within 5 yrs the consolidated loan will be paid as well as hopefully the federal portion of the loan. Year 3-4 I hope to be able to afford a new to me vehicle. And then in 15 years the house will be paid off as well. Of course that's all going on the plan I have now....throw in a couple of adopted kids in the next couple of years and a new plan will be needed.



2 comments:

Lizzie said...

So awesome to have a plan!! Way to go!!

Anonymous said...

Good luck!! Debt sucks!!! Your goals are awesome! We are on a similar journey.... one day we will be debt free to NEVER see it again!!!!!!! That's my goal!!!